Club By Laws
Officers & Chairpersons
Chalk on the Walk
2017 Chalk Photos
2016 Chalk Photos
2015 Chalk Photos
2014 Chalk Photos
2013 Chalk Photos
2012 Chalk Photos
2011 Chalk Photos
2010 Chalk Photos
2009 Chalk Photos
2008 Chalk Photos
Show Your Talent
Click Here to Open/Download Artist Applicaton
(you can fill out and return this form electronically if you wish)
Chalk on the Walk will be on Sunday, May 6th. You may begin working at any time after 10:00 am. It is best to start by 11:00 am so you will have time to finish your work before the 3:00 pm judging. You should also leave some time to visit other events at the Harvard Square MayFair.
Cash prizes for First and Second Places plus 2-4 Honorable Mentions will be awarded, plus five People's Choice Awards – awards to other artists who's drawings have received the most "votes" (tokens which the public purchase and get put in small buckets by each drawing). Last year, over $1,250 was awarded in prize money.
Please come to the registration table at the corner of Church and Brattle Streets to get your square number/location and pick up your chalk. You may use only chalks provided by the Rotary Club of Cambridge. Drawing is done directly on the asphalt – just like graffiti.
Let your imagination run wild. Reproduce a renaissance painting, or a family photograph, or create a fantasy landscape, or a cartoon, or portrait – whatever of drama and color and beauty and fun the artist and the sponsor want as their pictorial contribution to the Harvard Square MayFair.
Artist Information - contact Joe Kobialka at 617-974-5336 or ChalkOnTheWalk@gmail.com
- We encourage street painters to sign their work at the bottom of the drawing. To help us identify photos, please write your name next to the Square Number next to your drawing.
- If you are reproducing an image originally created by another artist (living or deceased), it is important to credit the original artist and the title at the base of your drawing.
- We expect the area to be crowded, so please try to keep your supplies and belongings to a minimum and well contained.
- Please respect the street painters who are working near you. Please do not walk on their drawings or have open beverage containers, which could spill and damage a drawing.
- If you need more chalk in particular colors, feel free to exchange colors with other street painters, as is the custom at the street painting festivals in Italy.
- We will put a small yellow bucket by each drawing so the public can "vote" for their favorites. Money raised by selling vote tokens supports additional prize money.
- Sorry, no dogs are allowed at Chalk on the Walk.
- Artwork must be appropriate for public viewing. Only chalk/pastels in solid form may be used for street painting, no acrylic paints, liquid pastels, etc are acceptable.
- Chalk on the Walk is entitled to photograph and reproduce the street painting for purposes of historical record and future publicity.
- Please - no fixatives of any kind may be used on the chalk drawings.
- Please - no boom-boxes allowed; please use portable head-sets to listen to music.
Supplies you may want to bring
- Whisk broom or brush for cleaning drawing surface
- Chalkboard eraser for blending larger areas of color - an excellent tool for laying a basic undercoat of color covering your square onto which other colors may be applied. Also for blending, a plastic sheet, felt, and short cut brushes.
- Masking tape for creating sharp borders, edges or geometry
- A portable dust-buster is handy to remove excess chalk dust. Because it is not healthy to breathe in chalk dust, please do not blow or fan the chalk dust into the air.
- Disposable latex gloves are excellent for blending colors with fingers and for protection. We'll supply some, but you may want your own.
- A 2-by-2 piece of cardboard allows one to sit or stand on the drawing without disturbing the work.
- A towel or paper towels for wiping up. We'll have some wipes, but again, you may want your own.
- If showers are threatened, you may want to bring a plastic drop cloth to cover your work temporarily.
- If the weather is warm, bring a hat or visor and sunscreen for protections from the sun, and a capped container with drinking water.
Parking is always difficult in Cambridge, and particularly for the Harvard Square MayFair. It is recommended to take the MBTA to the Harvard Square stop and walk to Church Street.
Chalk on the Walk - Sunday, May 6, 2018 on Church Street between Mass. Ave. and Brattle Street. Sponsored by The Cambridge Rotary Educational Fund, Inc.